York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust provides a comprehensive range of acute hospital and specialist healthcare services for approximately 800,000 people living in and around York, North Yorkshire, North East Yorkshire and Ryedale - an area covering 3,400 square miles.
From 1st April 2016 to 31st March 2017 our Trust had 147 research studies open to recruitment in York and Scarborough, which resulted in 4588 patients being recruited into clinical trials.
Some of our research highlights from this year have been:
- Anaesthesia, Periop Medicine and Pain Speciality Group which now sees York Hospital recruit 25% of the total number of patient in clinical trials in England. For example we were the highest recruiters in the region for the PROBESE trial. The trial is aimed at studying protective Ventilation during general anaesthesia for surgery on obese patients
- Ophthalmology where we were the highest recruiters in the UK for a study called SAFARI that reviewed drugs in patients with Age related macular degeneration
- Cardiology where we recruited the first UK patient in a clinical trial called ARIADNE which was looking at the new drugs for patients with heart failure
- We recruited 150 patients into a clinical trial called PRIDE that was aimed at looking at micronutrients in the blood of pregnant women at risk of gestational diabetes and over 100 patients into a trial called VESPA looking at scanning in ladies in the early stage of pregnancy
- Our haematology/oncology team for being the highest recruiters in the region for the Facilitating Informed Decision Making in Haemato-Oncology (FIDO) trial, so far the team have recruited over 400 patients to this trial. The trial is aimed at how patients make decisions about their care with questionnaires before and after clinical appointments.
- We were also the top recruiters in the UK for a Rheumatology study that was following patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis given immunosuppressant drugs for the first time
- Our hospital is also part of the Yorkshire Health Study which is a questionnaire style study and so far we have recruited over 700 patients
We are proud to be a partner with the Hull York Medical School (HYMS) in providing clinical placements and training for future doctors at Scarborough and York Hospitals. As a Teaching hospital our researchers and academics have a strong track record of clinical and research excellence across the majority of our clinical directorates.
The Research and Development Office will guide you through the research process, whether you are simply wanting to complete a research questionnaire or need advice on the complex process of study set-up and initiation. We aim to offer very high quality services to researchers and clinicians across all our clinical directorates by offering advice and guidance in such areas as:
- Finding and applying for research grants
- Study design
- Health Research Authority (HRA) Approval
- Research Ethics applications
- Day to day management of studies
- Quality assurance and data management
- Patient & Public Involvement
- Publication and dissemination
- Intellectual Property
- Grant costings and finances
We are currently research active in the following clinical areas but we are always on the lookout to develop research in new areas:
- Obs & Gynae
- Sexual Health
Research & Development Office flyer